Job Title: Youth Summer CAN-Bike Instructor
Reports to: Interim Executive Director, Lead Instructor
The CAN-Bike Instructor is responsible for leading CAN-Bike programming for the 2017 Charlie’s FreeWheels Summer Build-a-Bike Camp programs. The CAN-Bike instructor will ensure that Charlie’s FreeWheels’ summer program youth participants gain a thorough understanding of safe cycling practices and lead program graduates on rides downtown.
Contract: June 19, 2017 – August 26, 2017
- 30 hours a week
- Lead Instructor
- Peer Mechanic
- Program Assistant
- Executive Director
Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Delivery and Execution
- To deliver CAN-Bike 2 training to youth participants, in collaboration with the Peer Mechanic and Program Assistant. The training must be offered in a manner that that is consistent with Charlie’s FreeWheels’ programming intentions.
- To plan and lead safe-cycling group rides, in collaboration with Peer Mechanic and Program Assistant (including choosing the route, packing necessary safety equipment, ensuring the readiness of all bikes and riders to go on ride).
- To assist Lead Instructor in offering bicycle building programming.
- To complete administrative duties required for CAN-Bike 2 registration process
Upkeep & Maintenance of Shop Operations
- Ensure that CAN-Bike 2 program materials are maintained and ready for each summer program.
- To maintain general order and functionality of programming space in collaboration with Lead Instructor.
- Basic knowledge of bicycle mechanics
- CAN-Bike 2 Certification an asset
- CAN-Bike Instructor Certification an asset – training and certification will be provided for successful candidate if required.
- Experience working with youth in a teaching or lead capacity
- A patient, constructive and supportive attitude
- All candidates MUST:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2;
- and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
The CAN-Bike Instructor will be required to move bicycles and heavy boxes containing tools and parts.
- Successful delivery of high quality programming
- Successfully carrying out the prime functions of the job description
The deadline to apply is Friday May 19 at 5pm.
Interested applicants should send a resume and short letter indicating interest in the position to email@example.com.